Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Watchmen

I just finished reading Alan Moore's Watchmen. These are the lines that are sticking with me the longest. I haven't gone through it with a fine tooth comb to ensure they are my favorites, but it's safe to say they are up there. If these lines pique your interest, you won't regret spending time with it over spring break. 

Also, this is how Moore has divided the monologue up. The following text doesn't fit with the typical standards for correct punctuation, but it's the best I can do via the blog.

"...But the world is so full of people, so crowded with these miracles that they become commonplace and we forget...

"I forget.

"We gaze continually at the world and it grows dull in our perceptions. Yet seen from another's vantage point, as if new, it may still take the breath away."

"Come... Dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly.

"Dry your eyes...

"... And let's go home."

If nothing else, next time you are at a bookstore, flip open a copy to pages 27 & 28 of chapter 9. The illustrations are fantastic (at least in my very unknowledgeable opinion :).

No comments:

Post a Comment