Monday, March 9, 2009

R.I.P. Circuit City... wait, what am I saying??

This past weekend, Circuit City closed its last store. Despite the fact that it practically turns Best Buy into a monopoly in my home town, I'm thoroughly pleased to see the city of circuits fade into the horizon. 

Why do I show no remorse for  a departed electronics store? Well other than the fact a CIA spy couldn't slide pass the vultures in the red polos circling the store looking for the next commission that might lay helpless in front of an overpriced TV, the way local buyers here in town were deprived of much of anything resembling a decent deal rubbed me the wrong way.

I hate to admit it, but Circuit City always had fairly comparable prices to Best Buy. However, when Mr. Liquidator and his happy bad of apathetic employees showed up, prices on all items shot right back to their MSRP (translation: nearly everything in the store shot up to the manufacturer's suggested retail price from its marked price 30-40% below that). And yet there were cars in the parking lot. Not just a few cars either. The place was packed! Fools! Idiots! They packed the store buying overpriced electronics, marked as 10-25% off the sticker price, that were actually marked up from what the prices were before the bankruptcy was announced. (Don't forget, those were the prices of a company taking its last dying breaths, not terrible deals for the most part...)

Needless to say, I rolled my eyes and decided to come back in two weeks.

I went again ten days later (just couldn't resist any potential deals) and heard people muttering about the next day's discount increase. The next day, I made an interesting discovery. Other than verifying that all the people who were buying up everything the day before and two weeks ago were now snatching up movies, cds, and burnt out TVs for almost as low as Circuit City's original prices, I discovered that large sections of merchandise has suddenly disappeared overnight. Apparently, our local store was on the fast track for the graveyard, while other stores were riding out the wave for an extra month. Most of the merchandise that was worth selling had been shipped out to those other stores to be sold at the higher prices for another month before similar discounts arrived elsewhere.

No Blu-rays. No decent TVs. No computer monitors. Speakers. Video games. Nothing. 

Unless you happened to be in the market for expensive cables or fixtures that a decent electronics store used to run itself into the ground, you were out of luck.

As I watched the crowds, who were not to be stopped by the lack of decent merchandise, snatch up what was left, I realized I had been given one last reason to hate Circuit City. I left without purchasing a single item from their liquidation "sale" and wished there was enough time to pull off something like this in a Circuit City somewhere as my last act of vengeance.

No comments:

Post a Comment